Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Letter from Korea~September 24, 2012

Hi everyone!

Last week was such a great week! We got to meet with a lot of our investigators and teach them and several of them are progressing. The next step with each one of them is to come to church. We taught each of them about that but none of them were able to come to church. One of them has work only on Sundays each week and another one has a study group Sunday mornings and the rest of them just say that they can't come. So it's been a bummer lately. But they are keeping commitments and reading the Book of Mormon and praying so that's good.

Thursday we had Elder Ringwood of the seventy visit our mission and teach us for a couple of hours. He's so amazing and taught us so much about the scriptures and was really funny, too. I love when people teach and they can make us laugh and feel the spirit. After the meetings we had an interview and he asked me about my missionary work and then just let me ask him questions for about twenty minutes. I asked him about prayer and he taught me a lot about how I can make my prayers with Heavenly Father more spiritual and more sincere. He also just talked to me about my family and helped me to understand more about Heavenly Father's plan for me.

I read something by Bruce R. McConkie that was about how Mormons are "peculiar people." One of the main reasons we are "peculiar" people is because we have overcome the world. Obviously not all Mormons have overcome the world. Maybe more haven't overcome the world than have. But when I met with Elder Ringwood and talked with him I could tell that 1) he was a servant of God and 2) he has overcome the world. So it has become something that I am really trying to do: overcome the world. To only care about serving the Lord and not get caught up in the worldly things.

One scripture that I really loved that Elder Ringwood shared with me was this one..

Romans 14:17

For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

So true! The only way that we can find true happiness is through the gospel. I have realized that lately as I have had more of the spirit in my life and have found that when I have the spirit with me I am always happy.

I don't have too much time now but I just want to say that this has been the best experience of my life. We met a lot of our investigators last week and there were a lot of funny or odd things that happened. Some of our investigators have been studying philosophy and stuff so it's been interesting to try to teach them the gospel. I'm not a big fan of philosophy. Seems like it's people who are trying to figure out all of the hardest questions of life just by logic, without feeling, revelation, or the Holy Ghost.

Anyway, I love you all and am so thankful for your support!!

-Elder Rife

No comments:

Post a Comment