Monday, April 9, 2012

Letter from Korea~April 9, 2012

Last week was my first full week here in Wonju. It was pretty much a full week of going out on the streets and talking to anyone we could, knocking doors, or calling former investigator records. We have more potential now for new investigators! We met with one new investigator yesterday named 조병두. He's a college student studying radiology and is 27 years old (Korean age). He's way cool! He met with the missionaries about a year ago at this time. We only met him for a little while yesterday in between conference sessions. We invited him to watch it with us but he had to go home to take care of his mom. We're going to meet with him again next weekend and start teaching him.

On Wednesday we had a combined district meeting up in Kangnung so we rode an express bus there; it took us about an hour and a half. It's a completely different world out here! By the time we got back from combined district meeting it was like 5 o'clock at night. In other areas we're usually done at like 2 or 3, but since we all live so far away from each other it takes forever.

Saturday we were supposed to watch conference with our branch starting at 2 o'clock, which I thought was weird since there were 3 sessions for us to watch. We didn't actually get started until 3. Then it was time for us to teach English class so we missed most of the Saturday morning session. After that we got to watch the whole Saturday afternoon session and we even had our investigator 정진택 with us so it was way fun. He had lots of questions about our church after so we talked to him for a while. He really liked it so I hope we can get him progressing soon. We didn't get to see the priesthood session yet though so hopefully we can find some time to watch it this week.

Sunday was really fun! We got to spend time with our branch for lunch in between conference sessions. My companion and I were in a different room watching conference in English with Korean subtitles. Everyone else was watching it with dubbing. I would hate to listen to it with someone elses voice recorded over all of the speakers.

Really most of our time was spent this last week just talking to anyone we could about the Gospel! It was really fun but I was super exhausted every day! But I kinda feel more like a missionary than I did in Il-san. We never really had time to proselyte there. All we did was teach. Which was good and is kinda the way that it should be, but there's something about going out on the street and showing your faith to the Lord by talking to everyone you can about the gospel.

I've had tons of fun here and I'm for sure getting better at the language. My companion has really been helping me to sound more like a Korean. He's teaching me little phrases that Koreans use that I can use in certain situations. I love it here! I love my mission. Thanks for all your support and love.

-Elder Rife

No comments:

Post a Comment