Monday, December 19, 2011

Letter from Elder Rife~December 19, 2011


I called home today to set up skype* with my family and I definitely surprised them! I must have been led by the spirit because I called right when everyone in my family except me was at the house. It was so good to hear their voices and get to talk to them briefly as I set up the time for our skype next week!

This week was rough because my companion was sick almost all week. He had a pretty bad cold so he rested for a really long time. There were a few days where we didn't really go outside because he was sleeping all day. I had a slight case of cabin fever! Our house isn't the biggest place and so I was locked in just one small room while my companion was in the other sleeping. Even though it wasn't the most effective week, I had lots of time to study Korean grammar and Jesus the Christ. I called potential investigators and set up an appointment but he punked us. On Tuesday I was in splits in a different area in our zone. I was with another Korean missionary and we left their apartment to go out to work when I realized (like 30 minutes later) that I didn't have the letter I had written and intended to send. So we decided to go back to the apartment and get it really quickly so we could send it out. On the way back to the apartment we stopped a kid on the street and talked to him for about 5 minutes and set up another appointment with him. I don't know what has happened since then but it was our little miracle this week. I told my companion that the spirit told me to forget my letter so we could go back and find that guy.

Last Saturday our English class was sad. The members couldn't come because there was a Stake meeting and we only had two women come so we had to cut English class short. If we don't have another male present then we can't teach English. So we talked with them for a little while then shared a message and sent them home. I felt too bad just telling them to leave without talking to them a little bit. They travelled pretty far to come to English class. 

Before English class we had a new investigator! His name is 정지웅 or his English name is Daniel. He just finished his army service recently. Before that he was meeting with the missionaries. He doesn't have too much gospel interest, but he's meeting with us so it means we'll have an opportunity to teach the gospel. We'll see what happens! He said no to reading the Book of Mormon each day and said that he would read the Bible. So we just asked him to read a little bit of the Book of Mormon when he reads the Bible. We plan to teach him the Restoration this Saturday.

I'm super excited to skype my family this week! It was so good to talk to them today and I can't wait to see them on skype! My Christmas present this year is getting to talk to and see my family. I feel like I have learned so much more about the Savior this year and am so grateful for His sacrifice for me.

I love you all!

-Elder Rife

*Michael has received special permission from his mission president to skype with us instead of calling because Mom has a hard time speaking and wouldn't be able to talk to him on the phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment