Monday, October 31, 2011

Letter from Elder Rife~October 31, 2011

Transfer number 4 is already almost half way over; it's so weird how they just fly by! I really hope I don't leave this area for a while though. Obviously it's not my choice and I'll go wherever I'm told to go, but I love it here and I feel like we are starting to click. The work really is moving forward in this area right now.
 
This week I went on splits with one of our zone leaders. He came down to my area and we spent the day together.. It was crazy. The first person we talked to together was super interested in us and our message and we gave him a Book of Mormon. I invited him to church and to English class and he said yes to both. He came to English class but then he got a cold and didn't come to church. We have an appointment with him tomorrow and he seems like he is interested in our message. He speaks English pretty well and wants to practice English with us but he also seems like he has gospel interest. Also while we were on splits we did some English flyering. We went to a busy intersection and passed out our English class flyers. Two people came up to us and said they wanted to do our 30/30 program and they were super excited. They said they would call us the next day so I didn't get their numbers. They still haven't called, haha, and I feel pretty dumb for not getting their numbers. But I really do think they will call this week or come to English class or something. We'll see!


Last week we got to go to the temple and it was amazing. They ran out of room in the English session so some of us went to the Korean session. They gave us translators and it just so happens that my translator broke about five minutes in. So I did the session in Korean! It was intense and my head hurt after but it was pretty good and I understood a little, ha.
 
Here's an update on my Korean for those who are wondering: Elder Jung and I speak English when we are at home and we speak mostly Korean on the street. But if I get frustrated trying to tell him something or just can't say it then I call a "time out" and speak English. The more I learn Korean the more I realize how hard it is. It's seriously the hardest thing I've ever tried to learn. Even if I know all of the words that someone says I still have to decode what it means because they are in the complete opposite order of a normal English sentence. But it does feel pretty good when I can understand someone and they can understand me. And for those of you who haven't noticed yet, my English is getting worse each day, haha.
 
Yesterday was a good Sunday. After church we had a baptismal service for the sister missionaries' investigator. Elder Jung baptized him. After that we spent a lot of time with all of the ward members. It is so fun to spend time with the members and I love the members here. They are so funny and we get along with them so well. Last night we proselyted for a little while and went to Jeff and Cinthya's house again. We go over each Sunday night and they feed us delicious American food and we share a gospel message. Last night they made Fettucini Alfredo. It was amazing! We talked about how each of us should continually renew our testimony of the Book of Mormon by taking Moroni's promise and doing it again. So we each committed to read Moroni 10:3-5 and pray about the Book of Mormon to renew and reconfirm our testimonies of its truthfulness.
 
Anyway, any time we had that wasn't mentioned in this email was spent proselyting, streetboarding, and visiting members and less actives. It was a good week this week and we're looking forward to another good week! I love you all! Please continue to pray for my Mom!
 
-Elder Rife

No comments:

Post a Comment