Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Letter from Elder Rife~September 14

Hey! So it's taken me a few extra days to email everyone. It's been Chusok over here. Which is Korean Thanksgiving. It's a pretty big deal and everything shuts down for 3 days, so I couldn't email yesterday or on Monday. And we didn't really get to do much missionary work since everyone was in their homes. Bundang was like a ghost town over Chusok. It was weird.
I don't remember if I talked about our two investigators or not; it's been nine days since I last emailed. We have one named 윤상영 who is 26 and is golden. We have taught him up to the third lesson and he has already come to church both weeks that we have been here. He's awesome. He hadn't had any problems or questions lately so we were worried that he was too golden (haha) but then last weekend he told us that he was going to go hangout with some of his old friends and they he usually drank and smoked when he hung out with them. We talked to him a lot about it and when he hung out with them he didn't drink or smoke! It was definitely an answer to his and our prayers. He's awesome.

We have another investigator named 최병배 who is about 35. We're doing the 30/30 program with him because he really loves English. He's a firm Christian and really believes in Jesus Christ. We have talked with him a lot and I love answering his questions. He seriously has so many questions. Last night we met with him and we read in 2 Nephi Chapter 29 which talks about why we need the Book of Mormon. He accepted it really well.
On Monday of this week we went to a members house to eat lunch for Chusok. When we got there I was looking at their pictures and recognized a plaque that they had on their table from their son's mission. It was a Korea Daejeon mission plaque with my dad's signature on it. Then I saw their family picture and recognized Elder 송, who was an AP for a long time and who I have seen many times since his mission. He was a really good friend of mine. It was fun to talk to his parents about him. I took a picture with his parents.. Mom and Dad if you could send it to him that would be great!
I've been trying to read more from the Bible lately. I want to be really well educated on all scriptures. I came across some scriptures I like and have learned a lot from.
Philippians 4:13–"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

John 15:4-11–
"4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.

9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.

10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and abide in his love.

11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

These verses talk about how we can't do anything without Christ.
I feel that is so true. I have really learned that in the last 6 months. Through Christ I really can do all things. But without Him I can do nothing. I feel that so strongly. It reminds me of Alma 26:12. I am weak but through Christ I can do all things that He needs me to do. I really do feel like such a weak and simple person walking around the streets of Korea. But I can feel the power of my calling from God to be a missionary. When I bear testimony I feel like I truly do have power that is from God. I've heard that when missionaries are released they feel like they have lost their power to teach the Gospel. I'm scared for that. While I'm still not a very powerful teacher, and especially not in Korean. I can feel of the divine power of my calling.

That's about it for this week! I love you all. Thanks for everything!
-Elder Rife

No comments:

Post a Comment