Monday, August 22, 2011

Letter from Elder Rife~August 22, 2011

I've been out for 5 months now! That's crazy. So last week was okay. We had to do lots of traveling and so we ended up with only 4 days of actual missionary work. When we went to Incheon for my companion's visa we found out that it was the wrong place, so we had gone all that way for nothing. Then the next day we had to go into Seoul to a different place and it turned out my companion's visa had already expired and he had to pay $100 as a fine. We weren't too happy about that. But we finally got it done and I learned that I need to take care of it fast when I have to do it in like 91/2 months.

Last week while we were proselyting we ran into a guy from the Church of God. They are pretty intense here in Korea and are known for having some pretty weird beliefs, which I won't get into in detail. haha. But we met with this guy and he wanted us to meet with him and a missionary from their church. We told them we would as long as we could introduce our church and as long as we met at our church. They agreed. Then on Saturday when we met they tried to get us to go to their church service with them cause they have theirs on Saturday. I told them that we couldn't go to their church and then we finally agreed to meet in E-Mart, which I wasn't too thrilled about because it's hard to invite the spirit into a grocery store. Anyway, we met with them but they just wanted to bash with us about the Bible and stuff. I learned that it's amazing how many people misinterpret the Bible. I'm so thankful for modern day revelation and especially for the Book of Mormon. At the end of the meeting the lady was pretty intense and was saying some rude things to us. My companion and I both bore powerful testimonies about our church and beliefs and I really could feel the spirit (even in E-Mart). I could feel of the power of our callings. We truly are called by a prophet of God and have the authority to do His work on the earth. I know the lady felt something but she still wouldn't listen so we decided to get up and leave. I shook the man's hand who was there and tried to be as polite as I could then we left.

That same day we met with 강사라 (Sarah Kang) and we took her to a baptismal service that the sisters from our district were having in a different area. The baptismal service was really good and we explained everything to her while it was happening. After the service we all went upstairs in the church and ate dinner together. The Bishop, 박일훈, who was in the Daejeon mission when my dad was mission president, talked to Sarah about baptism. He asked me when she was eligible for baptism. I then said September 18th and then he asked her if she thought she was ready for baptism, and she said yes! So we were really excited. It worked out perfectly. We talked to her on the bus ride home and learned that she told her parents she wants to be baptized and they are okay with it. And she has already read to Jacob in the Book of Mormon. We were really excited!

So then, yesterday we were waiting for her to come to church. She has to come to church three times before she can get baptized. But she never came! I called her twice and we have texted her twice since then and she hasn't answered! I don't know what happened. It's been more than a day and we still haven't heard from her. I'm getting pretty worried but I don't know what to do!

This morning my companion and I had to go to the mission office to finish my pass off stuff. I'm officially done! I'm so glad that I got it done. Now I can focus on learning the things I really need to learn like conversation stuff and pretty much everything. haha. I need to make a perfect language study plan and just study all the time. It's crazy how hard Korean is. I've been studying Korean almost all the time for the last 5 months of my life and I am still confused almost all of the time. But I know I will get it eventually. It's something that will take a lot of patience. I'm so thankful for this opportunity though because I will grow a lot.

So it's the last week of my second transfer! I wanna make it the best week yet! It will be hard cause we have so much going on this week. Tomorrow is Temple day so I will be gone all day. And Wednesday I will be on splits. Then Thursday we have Zone Conference. Pretty hectic. It will be good though. Anyway, I need to go! Thanks for all the support and prayers! I love you all!

-Elder Rife

No comments:

Post a Comment